Saturday, December 7, 2013

Thanksgiving Experiment!

So, unfortunately we were unable to be with either of our actual families for Thanksgiving this year. We were super bummed, but we did get to have Thanksgiving with our friends here, which is a blessing in and of itself.

Normally, I don't do any of the cooking for Thanksgiving, my Mom or my Aunts do it all. This is why up until this year, though I was allowed to help with the cole slaw while younger, I had never even attempted a pie. I can't believe I had been so intimidated by them when they are so easy!

Ok so maybe not exactly easy, I can see how if you hadn't worked with pastries before the crust could be a problem.. and man.. is it work using that pastry blender! This was also my first time dealing with Meringue which I believe I overcooked slightly due to the littles "helping" and my fear of undercooking it since it is an egg product. Those facts aside, this turned out GREAT and I will be more than happy to make them for anyone who needs a dessert for any of the holiday potlucks. Actually, I may make another one this week just because how fun it turned out to be and the fact that my kids LOVED them.

The details! This pie was entirely made from scratch, and as it was my first pie I decided to photograph the whole thing, thus documenting my success or failure for future review. Thank goodness it was a success! So here they are! Fun pics of my pre-Thanksgiving experiment!

 This was the first step.. that crumb like texture takes a LOT of work to accomplish, especially as you don't want to overwork the butter. 
After all that work, it finally comes together into the dough!


For some reason I didn't take any pictures of making the filling, probably because it was all super orange and messy, it smelled so good baking though!

Making the Meringue, thank goodness I have my KitchenAid, I can't imagine whisking this by hand!

The finished product! It's a little browner than what I would have liked, but Oh! So good!

The complete and utter delicousness that has me wanting to make it again right now. (Yes, Deliciousness is a word, my word!)

Keep your eyes out! I still have another post to go until I'm caught up, and by then.. I should be onto making my Christmas stuff! Such a fun time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment