Saturday, September 7, 2013

The rest of my busy day..

     Well.. now that the cake has been picked up I feel safe in posting this! This cake was a LOT of work. Not only did I have to figure out how to make and sculpt the fondant couch.. but this was my first time laying normal fondant.   Ruffles I had done before, piecing it together I had done before... but completely covering? No.. not so much.

     It started out as a disaster.. I won't even mention how many times I had to roll it out the first time just to get it to the cake without tearing... but then I had to rip it up off the cake.. and re-lay it.

     Luckily I had planned ahead. Yup! I planned for failure and that made me a success! Ok so maybe not really, but having a whole other batch of fondant made up and ready to go kept my birthday from completely sucking.  (I also made a TON of buttercream.. so hey.. mr. cake that is due this coming weekend.. I'm ready for you! Yeah, you!)

     I also figured out that when making a cake this big, for the ease of everyone involved you should PROBABLY double your cake board (I didn't and this thing is crazy awkward to move). I also decided that it's too heavy for the normal cake boxes I normally send and so this puppy went in a box I had laying around from this or that amazon delivery.

     Start to finish, including baking time.. this cake probably took me at least 8 hours, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out and I learned a LOT about working with fondant (Hey it's not just for modelling!)

I should probably show you what I'm talking about, so here it is! 

Those coffee cups.. those are painted... anything not fondant is piped on with buttercream.

That couch... this was the second attempt.. Zoey interrupted the first.

 The finished product! The top layer is lumpy but I'll take it!

Another view, this is probably the third most ambitious cake I've attacked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment